Here are my ten favorite comics from the first year of I’M FAMOUS! Mind you I didn’t say the best of funniest, just my personal favorites.
10. Good old Black Snow. He’s simultaneously gruff and vulnerable here. Perhaps this is sort of what it would have looked like if I had done the comic book in color. The punchline is based directly on a funny thing my dad told Alex and I about a client.
9. I love this one for the insanity of the punchline and the Lone Wolf laughing so hard at his own bizarre joke. Just look at it!
8. This one probably made me laugh harder than any other when I first read it. Hopefully I did it justice and my drawing added to the comedy of the writing.
7. Daniel trying to tempt the Lone Wolf strikes me as hilarious. Look at that creep. The Lone Wolf has never heard of the word whiskey?! Outrageous. I really love everything about this one.
6. Just an amazing way to formally introduce the Rosenstein character. Really strong stuff. What an excitable nutter! His presence is larger than life, and his energy is palpable. Not to mention that last panel of the Lone Wolf looking weirded out. Regular readers should understand why that is especially funny.
5. Not only does this one look good, but in a lot of ways it captures the true spirit of this comic strip. Stupidity and the lowest common denominator rule is this crazy world.
4. Another one I’m very proud of art-wise. It also happens to be pretty funny. I really like the punchline, and was really happy with this whole plane arch. This one is more situational than most of our pages, and maybe that lends to some of its appeal.
3. So funny seeing the Lone Wolf’s various reactions to reading the bible. Just picturing him doing this cracks me up, especially the laughing panel. No punchline was really needed, but that’s a pretty good one none the less. Just try to imagine what parts he was actually reading.
2. I love when we do awkward silence, and this may be the best time we’ve ever done it. That pause after rudely calling for attention then the absurd follow up, I can’t look at it without chuckling.
1. This is it, my all time favorite. I keep it hung on the wall next to my desk at work. I like the art, especially the coloring, but what I really love is the dark comedy of the situation. It sure didn’t take long to see the downfall of Daniel. When I finished this one I knew we were on to something special with this comic.